Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Observation

"Photography is an art of observation. It has little to do with the things you see, and everything to do with the way you see them."
                                                                       --Elliot Erwitt   www.ellioterwitt.com


Observation, the active acquisition of information, is perhaps the most important of all human activities. My father accidentally taught me this life lesson.  I had to be alert at all times around him...to detect moods...that would lead to actions. And those actions were often not in my favor.

Today, however, the great power of observation has become such a gift in my my photographic journey.

Photography has made me an even keener observer of people, nature and life. It has made me even more appreciative of the "little" things that often go unnoticed.  An example of that is the following:


I was walking Tater, my dog, a week or two ago and I noticed a hawk flying over with a stick in its mouth. I followed it and discovered that it was building a nest.  After watching the hawk for a while, I saw another hawk flying around.  It landed in a tree.  Then, both hawks were in the same tree.

Spring has sprung and now I am on "Hawk Watch." Every morning, very early, I go see what they are up to next.  In about a month I should have a nest full to watch, photograph and share!































If you were to look deep into the tree with the nest, you probably still would not see this couple's nest. Because of my keen observation of the very moment a bird flew over, we get to watch life unfold before us!









No comments:

Post a Comment