Thursday, September 13, 2018

~~Confidence is Weird~~

Confidence is critical to success in anything and everything we do. But confidence is not easy to come by.

I have a client that is an antique map trader, and he could not take proper photographs of his maps to sell on line.  He hired a dozen...yep...a dozen...photographers to help him take better photographs. Then he called me.

“I have ZERO experience taking photographs of antique maps, but I will give it a go with you,” I explain to him over the phone. He hires me, and I promptly panic. I have no clue about what I am doing. I reach out to photography forums, to my buddies and to the internet for ideas. I want to help my clients, but I don’t have a clue. I don’t know what I am doing.

The day arrives for me to tackle the task. I pack up all my gear...or a lot of it...and I trek to his place way out in the desert.

After seeing his set up, I simply tell him to change one thing at a time.  He starts to write everything down.  I say, “No. Only write the formula when we get it right.”

After just a few tweaks here and there with his set up, his lighting, his camera settings and his post work...viola!!  He was thrilled!  And by thrilled, I mean he had tears in his eyes, saying that these were the best photographs he has ever made....(and that was after taking 400 before I got to his place).



We never even unpacked my gear.

Yes.... Confidence is weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment